Re[2]: css with attribues (was: Re[2]: [CSS] Would be nice if...)

From: Dmitry Turin <sql4-en@narod.ru>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:56:05 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

David,

>> DD> a mandatory semantic layer).
>> Objection does not work against <style> at all.
DD> Yes it does. The user agent downloads the HTML document, which
DD> contains some CSS, but the user agent doesn't support CSS
What is "doesn't support CSS":
1) doesn't use for rendering ?
2) or doesn't use to specify attribute values ?

Nature of UA may be so, that it doesn't render at all -
so (1) is absolutely right in this particular case.
But (2) is not bound with nature of UA,
so there is no any restriction to use CSS to assign values for
attributes.

DD> The semantics that were placed in the optional
DD> presentation layer are lost.
Many things are based on "presentation layer":
e.g. behaviour, pronunciation.

DD> We are dealing with Cascading STYLE Sheets here.
Ortodox-ness.

>> I'm against to enter new values for @type or @rel _for this purpose_ ,
>> because brain will must keep this devision without any benefit.
DD> Those are other issues, which I object too as well.
DD> ... though since they don't put semantics into the style layer.
1) you object against new values for @type or @rel ? Why ?
2) you object against assignment of attributes in separate file ? Why ?

Dmitry Turin
SQL5      (5.9.1)  http://sql50.euro.ru
HTML6     (6.5.1)  http://html60.euro.ru
Unicode7  (7.2.1)  http://unicode70.euro.ru