Re: [css3-mediaquery] Clarification of 'not'

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:42:48 +0100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>, www-style@w3.org

Also sprach fantasai:

 > >  > 1) remove the word "always" from the section 4 statement
 > >  > 2) Add an example showing that the following media query is true:
 > >  >
 > >  >      @media not 3d-glasses { ... }
 > >
 > > Good idea.
 >
 > I think it's a terrible idea. @media not 3d-glasses should be false.
 > We don't *know* whether this device would match a future 3d-glasses
 > query or not.

True. But we say that queries involving unknown media types should be
false. E.g.:

  @media 3d-glasses { ... }

I assume we all agree that this should be false.

Logically, it follows that "not false" is true.

I think this is an edge case that will not cause much problems in real
life. So I suggest we keep the spec as simple as possible and do not
make exceptions in this case.

Cheers,

-h&kon