Re: positioned elements: center

On Jan 9, 2008, at 12:21 AM, David Woolley wrote:

> There are two principles at work here.  You only avoid the
> incremental rendering problem by introducing a cascade problem, as
> this will no longer work well if the font isn't the exact one that
> the author chose.  (Brad's Drip... title demonstrates that even
> switching operating systems can compromise designs that are too
> dependent on font selections.  Firefox uses minimum font size
> rather than completely disabling font sizes to get round font size
> problems, and only the footer on that pate went below my minimum.)

Give me a break. I whipped that together as an example of the utility
of positioned floats, and you attacked every other aspect of it aside
from that, and insist on continuing to do so.  To what end? It's
purpose was never to show how great the first draft of a page could
be, nor to prove that designers should not spend a little more time
on their font choices than I did for my quick example. The font I
chose had nothing to do with the concept it was created to illustrate.