Re: scroll bar size in width calculations

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:57:07 -0800
To: robert@ocallahan.org
CC: Rossen Atanassov <ratan@windows.microsoft.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Sam Fortiner <samfort@microsoft.com>, Harel Williams <harelw@microsoft.com>, Scott Dickens <sdickens@exchange.microsoft.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>

Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 7:25 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com
> <mailto:news@terrainformatica.com>> wrote:
>
>     That is a primordial problem of CSS box model.
>
>     It has to be:
>     1) either 'overflow:none' - "never overflow" instruction or
>     2) something similar to David Baron's 'intrinsic' value for
>        min-width/min-height attributes. That is also "never
>        overflow" instruction.
>

> 3) Authors specify min-height instead of height, then they get the IE6
> behavior.

Beg my pardon but how min-width/min-height supposed to work for e.g.
http://www.w3c.org/ (front page) layout?
E.g. how you would define width of these columns if you do not
know font size I am using here to view it?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com