Re: positioned elements: center

On Jan 6, 2008, at 3:51 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> That all sounds interesting, but like something that might take a
> while to work out all the details on, and possibly complicated to
> implement, assuming it doesn't break existing pages. I'm not opposed
> to exploring that more.
>
> But the thing is, for position:absolute, at least, we already have a
> value that sets positions to the middle. That value is "50%". But
> the fact that it only works on edges and not centers makes it more
> complicated than it could be if we were able to set it on the center
> point. And "center" is something that everyone can understand right
> away. If a person is at all familiar with position:absolute, then
> the idea of { position:absolute; center-x:50%; center-y:50%; } would
> be extremely easy to understand, with little or no explanation. All
> other aspects of position:absolute would remain virtually unchanged.

That right and left imply those edges is no problem apparently, and if
we had a center property that it would align with the center of that
element seems clear. I really don't see what the problem is... browser
resizing doesn't seem like an issue to me. As long as the width of the
element is known or easily calculated, incremental rendering doesn't
seem to be a problem either.

Really, what is the problem with this?

John Oyler
john@discrevolt.com