Re: W3C CSS Home Redesign RFC

Grant, Melinda wrote:

> Fantasai said:
>> Updated the spec and test overviews (and added back the colors):
>>
>> http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/csswg/redesign-2007/spec-overview
>>
>> http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/csswg/redesign-2007/test-overview
>
> Some feedback on http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/csswg/redesign-2007/test-overview:
>
> I'd lose the '(or contact fantasai)'.  If you're listening on public-css-testsuite,
> they'll find you there, and if for some reason you're not, you probably don't want
> them to find you. ;-)

My concern was that some people might want to ask questions about the test suite
without posting to a public mailing list.

> I wonder if 'interoperability' is really the word we want to quote the definition
> of and use here. We use that term rather loosely in the css community, because we
> know what we mean; but browsers don't really interoperate because they don't
> directly communicate.  They don't "exchange information" and use that exchanged
> information.  What we're really targeting is implementation consistency, not
> interoperability. (We do need to consider and test interoperability between user
> and browser, but that's not how the word is currently being used.)

There isn't a direct exchange between browsers, but what we do have is a lot of
files created on one system that should work predictably on other systems. It's
the same idea as interoperability among C++ compilers.

> The existing but sorely incomplete css3 paged media test suite should be added as
> pre-alpha (http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS3/Page/current/).

Ok.

> I don't expect that a test suite will need be created for the CSS Print Profile,
> as it defines no features but only references features defined elsewhere.  So I
> expect there will be just a report template which uses tests from the 2.1 and
> css3-page test suites.

Even if the Print Profile test suite becomes just a template that imports tests
from other test suites, it should still get listed.

> Which brings to mind the question -- do we want to add something about report
> harnesses / templates?

Well, there's a short section on "format". We can expand it if there's something
else we should add there?

~fantasai