Re: flowing around both sides of a float

Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> James Elmore wrote:
>

>> Philip -- I recognize what you are saying; but I won't let the design
>> preferences of a small minority of users stop me from expressing my own
>> design preferences on my own web pages.
>>

> And nor will I; all I am trying to achieve is
> agreement that CSS cannot (and is not intended to)
> allow /control/ of a web page's appearance; all
> it can do is to /influence/ that appearance.

Philip, I see what you mean here, but it's a bit of a moot point.
Personally, I have been using CSS for about ten years now, but haven't
seen the need to use local stylesheets to overwrite author stylesheets
at all (although in rare cases I disable CSS altogether).  CSS most
certainly should be intended to allow author control over appearance,
but I don't think anyone expects to have that control extend to override
local user browser settings and preferences.  The authors most certainly
should be able to style their pages whichever way they want, but what
the user does on their end is up to the user.  Generally, it sure is
nice to have the CSS standard enable and accommodate ones creativity,
rather than be a limiting factor.

--
Aleksey V Lazar
Website Developer