Re: flowing around both sides of a float

On Jan 4, 2008, at 1:09 AM, David Woolley wrote:

> Commercial authors are there to influence people to buy products
> and services.  That usually means that they do their best not to
> create an informed consumer base [...] Typically the aim is to make
> people buy their mediocre implementation of a product [...] fear
> may be appropriate for some products [...] most sites are badly
> designed

Got it. All businesses and the people working for them are evil and
incompetent. Quite a broad brush you paint with, there. If only we
had some sort of government system that could do away with their
terrible capitalistic influence, then we could return to the
wonderful world of pre-CSS HTML.

And here I was wondering why more professional Web designers weren't
more involved with this list.

> I do believe that the CSS model is wrong if style is more important
> than content,

This list is for discussing Cascading STYLE Sheets. No one ever said
it was more important than content. But styling Web pages is why
authors use CSS, so trying to do so in powerful, predictable ways is
central to the discussion and raison d'tere of this list. If content
is more important to you, then there are probably other discussion
lists where your comments can be more constructive, rather than just
trying to tear down all the work of those who would like to use a
styling language to apply style and design.

> This is more and education than a language design problem.  You
> have to convince authors to think about content rather than form,
> and you have make the public aware that something better is
> possible; people's expectations of the web are dictated by how they
> see it used.

Good luck with that. But that's advocacy, and is out of place on this
list. "This mailing list is for technical discussion on Web Style
Sheets." [1]

> [...] CSS must be done with a light touch.

No it mustn't. It is a tool that can be used however the author
decides to use it, within its technical limitations. When you own the
Web site, you can determine if you are going to use a light touch, or
style the hell out of it, or something in between. There may be laws
requiring me to consider accessibility for the visually impaired and
such, but there is no law saying I have to use a light touch. If
anything, your attitude makes me want to do the opposite of what you
want, such as using tiny little font sizes in light gray against a
somewhat lighter gray background. But I won't, because it is self
defeating.

> My main problem in joining working groups, though, is that I have
> to do all this in my spare time, and I don't even really have time
> to do this list justice.

I'm not telling you how to spend your time, just suggesting there may
be a better choice for you, where your contributions are more
appreciated, if your goal is advocate the elimination of most of
what's been done with CSS.

>> <sarcasm>Yes, clearly giving designers the choice of using color
>> or specifying fonts was a big mistake.</sarcasm>
>
> It appears to have been :-(.

Wow. OK, I now have no basis for continued conversation with you. You
are not only anti-CSS, you are anti-design. We have no common ground.
I will spare the rest of the group from further responses to your
baiting.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Mail/Lists.html#www-style