Re: flowing around both sides of a float

On Jan 3, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> James Elmore wrote:
>
>> Philip -- I recognize what you are saying; but I won't let the
>> design preferences of a small minority of users stop me from
>> expressing my own design preferences on my own web pages.
>
> And nor will I; all I am trying to achieve is
> agreement that CSS cannot (and is not intended to)
> allow /control/ of a web page's appearance; all
> it can do is to /influence/ that appearance.
>
> Philip TAYLOR

You're splitting hairs. I suspect you are splitting hairs just for
the sake of starting and fueling an argument. Control is not an
something which is either absolute or non-existent, with nothing in
between. There is a whole range of levels of control, and no one
advocating for the ability of the author to control the presentation
of the pages they present to the world is suggesting that the control
they aim for is absolute.

If you set your user style sheets to override those of the original
author, then you are becoming, in a sense, co-author of the page
because you also want some of the control. If you think you know
better than me how the page I created should be styled, then go for
it, and live with the results. I spend hours tweaking the CSS, not
for my own ego gratification, but because I am a professional who
thinks he can do a good job styling it for those who would consume
it. I can do a better job at that task when I have a reasonable
expectation of what it will look like when rendered, and how it will
act, including when the window is resized or the text magnification
changed, or when it is presented on various different devices of
different capabilities, screen sizes, etc.