Re: flowing around both sides of a float

From: James Elmore <James.Elmore@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:13:50 -0800
To: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>, CSS <www-style@w3.org>

On Jan 2, 2008, at 11:51 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> I would say we want much the same thing, but would specify it
> differently. I would do it by giving absolute positioning as a
> value of float, and you would do it by giving certain float-like
> capabilities to absolutely positioned items.
>
> I think your "wrap" attribute makes sense only for absolutely
> positioned items, but I can't see any use for it for static or
> relatively positioned items (or even what those terms would mean
> with wrap applied to them). Correct me if I am wrong about that.

Last summer, I posted a more complete defense of this proposal,
including use cases for positioning and 'wrapping' relative,
absolute, and even relative to a particular block. If you don't have
access to the archives, I would be happy to send you the links or
even copy the text so you can see what I have already posted without
duplicating everything for the entire group.

> I would hope that any experienced CSS user would recognize both
> "absolute" and "float" too. But "wrap" would be something new. The
> familiarity of the words "absolute" and "float" and the newness of
> "wrap" and what it does (applying only to absolutely or fixedly
> positioned items) makes my way a little better, IMAO (In My
> Arrogant Opinion).

I am not so arrogant that I believe my suggestion is perfect. I have
already found one problem with it, thanks to your 'arrogant' opinion.
So be proud of your ideas, just don't think they are perfect.

> I can easily imagine wanting to position something above two other
> blocks and having the inline content of those blocks flow around it
> (as well as their non-positioned floats).

This has been suggested numerous times before in this group.
Positioning a block and having the contents of other blocks which it
intersects flow around it is the general case of the problem I (or
perhaps we) are trying to solve.

>> Maybe we could use 'position: float;' That would tell the
>> rendering engine that the EXACT position of the element is not
>> fixed, only suggested, and that it would have to move to make
>> space for other 'floated' elements.
>
> Hmm. Or maybe it would depend on z-axis, or on the relationship of
> the item to the other floats (siblings, "cousins", etc.).

After I sent this off, I also thought that we could include the
elements which are to be 'floated' in a common block and float the
block. This is a less than ideal solution, but at least answers some
of the questions. Does anyone else out there have a better idea?

James Elmore