Re: CSS2.1: computed value of z-index

On Jan 3, 2008 9:54 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#z-index
>
> z-index only applies to positioned elements, however, its computed
> value is "as specified". Since the computed value can be exposed to
> script via getComputedStyle(), I suggest that it would be more useful
> if the computed value is "as specified for positioned elements,
> otherwise auto" so that scripts get the value actually used.

Sounds reasonable.

> [Side note: the spec also says "In future levels of CSS, other
> properties may introduce stacking contexts, for example 'opacity'."
> Does that mean z-index should apply to non-positioned elements
> affected by such properties? Hyatt tells me this is already an open
> question for CSS3.]

Why don't we just make z-index applicable to everything, with a non-auto
z-index inducing a stacking context? That would be really easy for us to
implement. Right now we actually have to have code to explicitly disable
z-index for non-positioned elements.

I guess there could be compatibility issues, but who would add z-index to
non-positioned elements where they expect it to be ignored?

Rob
53:5-6]