Re: flowing around both sides of a float

From: John Oyler <johnoyler.css@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:31:55 -0500
Cc: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
To: www-style@w3.org

On Jan 1, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2008, at 6:27 AM, David Woolley wrote:
>
>> James Elmore wrote:
>>
>>> some of the proposals will be difficult to implement. Also, some
>>> will not be immediately used, simply because they are not known to
>>> be available. But providing tools which make CSS a more complete
>>> system of styling documents will make CSS a more useful tool set.
>>
>> One of the things that makes a good computing standard is that it
>> achieves a lot with a little.  One of the things that leads to the
>> eventual death of computing standards is that whilst they start
>> that way, they eventually try to do everything.  As a result they
>> get too complex (CSS is already well beyond the point where most
>> authors understand it well enough to be able to know whether there
>> are features to do things they want).
>
> In this case (float:center), the "float" concept is well understood,
> and "center" is a common value to accompany "left" and "right" as
> keywords to describe horizontal position. Authors will not have a
> hard time understanding the addition of the "center" value to the
> "float" attribute. They may, on the other hand, have a hard time
> understanding why it is missing.
>
> Float (or something like it) would be especially useful if it could
> be positioned absolutely, yet still affect the flow (so that inline
> elements and other traditional floats did not overlap it, and would
> be effected by its margin). The details of how that would work would
> probably be more complex, but the effect that float:center should
> have is pretty clear.

It isn't clear how this could work. Float:absolute, and then it uses
left/right/top/bottom for positioning? I'm all for float:center in
principle at least, but at least I could wrap my head around how it's
supposed to work. Something more flexible isn't as obvious even when I
spend time thinking it through. Also, would there be any point in a
float:center if it were implemented? If you can derive one behavior
from the other...

John Oyler
john@discrevolt.com