RE: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

L. David Baron wrote:

> But actually, one additional change would be needed so that we don't
> break row height calculation.  In the previous paragraph, we should
> either change:
>
> # MIN depends on cell box heights and cell box alignment (much like
> # the calculation of a line box height).
>
> to say:
>
> # MIN depends on cell box heights, the 'height' property of of the
> # cells, and cell box alignment (much like the calculation of a line
> # box height).
>
> or we should change:
>
> # it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height' and the minimum
> # height (MIN) required by the cells
>
> to say:
>
> # it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height', the specified
> # 'height's for each of the cells, and the minimum height (MIN)
> # required by the cells
>

> I'm not sure which change is better, but there's a difference.

If I'm not missing the point, then it seems that there is currently no
agreement among browsers. A simple test case
http://www.brunildo.org/test/td_height1.html shows that in Safari (3.0.4)
and in Firefox (2.0.11, 3 beta)  baseline vertical alignment of cells may
make a row taller than the heights specified on single cells.  In Opera
(9.25, 9.5) and in IE (6, 7) this doesn't happen (unless required by cells
content.)
FWIW, I prefer your second formulation (but this would make FF and Safari
wrong?)

Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test