Re: [CSS3] Collapsing elements proposal [wasRe: Collapsing elements]

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:37:13 -0800
Cc: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Feb 23, 2008, at 12:15 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> Actually, if the appearance stuff was available, some clever person
> could probably figure out a way to create a tab panel with just
> existing radio buttons and labels, and maybe a level or two of
> spans inside the labels (and maybe a P or fieldset to line
> everything up inside of). That'd be an interesting challenge, even
> without the tab appearance availability. It seems doable on the
> face of it.

I've created a proof-of-concept, which uses radio buttons, adjacent
selectors, and absolute positioning to create a panel of tabs that
works. A bug in Safari seems to prevent the selectors from noticing
changes to the radio buttons' states. FireFox 2 doesn't work because
I am using display:inline-box. But it works perfectly in FireFox 3
and Opera 9.26, and initially looks correct in Safari.

Here it is, if you are interested:

http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/tabs.html

("pure CSS" and functional, no JavaScript involved)

Ideally, I'd rather not have to use absolute positioning. Maybe
someday I could use "move-to" on the content instead (if I remember
correctly how that is supposed to work). And I had to use negative
margins to collapse the white space; there might be a better way. Oh,
and I'd love for "appearance" to support assigning the proper OS UI
look, but I simulated that instead, in the second example.