Re: Collapsing elements

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:23:14 -0800
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>

On Feb 26, 2008, at 12:12 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> It is a trinity of equally valuable entities: DOM element, style
> and behavior.
>
> De facto there is a set of behaviors already. All <input>s can be
> presented as set of declarations:
>
> input[type="text"] { behavior: single-line-edit; ...}
> input[type="chekbox"] { behavior: checkbox; ...}
> input[type="radio"] { behavior: radio; ...}
>
> If you will start think this way then suddenly you will discover
> that you can reuse behaviors for almost all other UA activation needs.
>
> E.g. some list with <li> that have assigned behavior:radio to them
> may behave as an accordion widget with proper styling.
>
> So it is a matter of separation of behavior from dom element and
> styling
> that according to old "divide et impera" principle will only help
> us to reach new quality.

That's one small step (or perhaps one giant leap) beyond what I was
talking about, but I would welcome it, if we could ever get to that
point. It would seem that radio and checkbox behaviors could apply to
a wide variety of elements, but I have a hard time imagining what it
would mean to apply a single-line-edit behavior to a UL, or a pop-up-
menu behavior to a radio input, for instance.