Re: Collapsing elements

Brad Kemper wrote:

> As a follow-up, just to be clear, I do not believe CSS should be used to
> create or control the states, only to style them. HTML already has a way
> to create and control a binary state. "Type" is used to create a
> 2-state, click-changeable input ("type=checked" and "type=radio"), and
> "checked" is used to indicate which of the two states it should start
> out as. Without the "type", there is already a "non-of-the-above" state.

In the typical case of multi-level menus, collapsing is purely a user
interface issue.  It should not be represented in the HTML.

The advantage of being able to style nested lists as menus is that the
fully expanded list, as one gets without CSS or with browsers that don't
implement the feature, still produces a sensible structure for making
the selection.

--
David Woolley