RE: [CSS3] Proposal to add list-style-type: tree-line value

Brad Kemper wrote:

> Andrew, you began by talking about list-style-type for a tree view,
> but you seem to imply that it could be used with a SELECT menu, not
> just a traditional list.
>
> It is pretty interesting to think of a SELECT menu as just a special
> kind of list, one in which each option is like an "LI" that behaves
> like a radio button. If that were the case, then "list-style-type"
> could make it into a tree list, some pseudo-classes and state
> information could make the tree folded or expanded, and "appearance:
> pop-up-menu" could make it more like a traditional SELECT.

Yes, a new way of selecting the hidden content within the list item. Not to say Brad that that incredible amount of proposed CSS is not the answer but I have seen this a method.

@constant MYSELECT(li.with-hidden-content)

@variable MYSELECT:initial {

ul {position: absolute; left: -10000px;}

}

@variable MYSELECT:alternative {

ul {position: absolute; left: 0;}

}

All a UA has to do is count the clicks for each particular list item. Either active or non-active. No messing with the DOM (which I'm partially ignorant) I presume.

Alan
http://css-class.com/