Re: [css3-namespace] what is a "no namespace"

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:13:09 +0100, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
> I think that clarifies the meaning wrt the syntax, but it's still not
> clear to me in what circumstances you would need to use this.

  <x xmlns="x">
   <y xmlns=""/>
  </x>

To select y you'd use either

   @namespace foo "";
   foo|y { ... }

or

   |y { ... }

> Also, I found myself wondering whether this means that we have to change
> all style sheets for XHTML files, where the html element defines a
> default
> namespace, so that the selectors match xhtml elements.

No. By default type selectors match elements in every namespace. So

  html { ... }

works for

or

or (in HTML):

   <HTMl>

Note that most browsers, for CSS purposes at least, already act as if HTML
elements are in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace.

> I guess I'm looking for information about how this is applied along with
> the syntactic description.

Why? It's pretty self-evident. (If the namespaces concept of XML
namespaces is itself not clear, which seems to be the problem here, I
suggest simply not bothering with them. Namespaces are hardly relevant on
the Web anyway.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>