RE: [css3] "Selectors that People Actually Use"

Ambrose Li wrote:

> > * E + F - Only the next element - rarely useful.
> >
> > What if another div element contained two tables and I wanted to select the later table
>
> Whoever wrote that it's "rarely useful" obviously has not even bothered to
> check what this is used for in the normal case. =)

May I quote that line on my site :-)

> > These selectors are very powerful and as web developers understand them better, they will be used much more often.
>
> Maybe also as browsers actually honour them. Last time I checked lots of
> them didn't even work, so I suppose lots of people aren't using them
> because they, like me, would assume they still wouldn't work.
>
> --
> cheers,
> -ambrose

Not quite true. IE7 was the first browser to correctly handle all attribute selectors. Opera 9.5 is now the second. This does not say there are bugs, since I have found none with normal CSS. I have eight linked test cases beginning from here.

http://css-class.com/test/css/selectors/str-pseudo-class.htm

Overa 9.5 passes each test and is the first browser to do so. They cover Structural Pseudo Classes, Attribute selectors and negation. The amount of similar test pages I could have if I started chaining these selectors is endless with the document tree. Find the link for each test page at the bottom of each page.

IE7 only bug with attribute selectors since there is no HTML attribute className.

p.test92[className="test92"] {}

p.test93[className*=""] {}

All modern browsers support attribute selectors, most browser support negation and structural pseudo classes is very patchy.

Alan

http://css-class.com/