Re: [css3] "Selectors that People Actually Use"

On 18/02/2008, Alan Gresley <alan1@azzurum.com> wrote:

> Jens Meiert wrote:
>
> > Thought this has already been posted but couldn't find proof:
> >
> > > http://ejohn.org/blog/selectors-that-people-actually-use/
> >
> > Although I do not agree with all of John's objections it looks like a few CSS 3 selectors might indeed require a revision. Just forwarding.
> >
> > --
> > Jens Meiert
> > http://meiert.com/en/
>

> No. no, no. He has no idea what is is talking about concerning selectors. This is my reply to him on his blog:
>

> @John Resig
>
> I don't understand your reasoning by saying most of the CSS selectors are useless. Here is some of your list:
> * E:lang(fr) - This could be achieved in so many other ways - but in the end, how many multi-language-on-the-same-page sites are there?
>
> Isn't it correct to wrap foreign text in elements with a "lang" attribute.

Yes, I use it a lot in my web pages. Although for some lang attributes
browsers use them to infer the character set when you don't want them
to do it, but that can be worked around.

For CJK pages the use of lang is generally the only way you can force
non-CJK text to display in their own fonts correctly.

> * E + F - Only the next element - rarely useful.
>
> What if another div element contained two tables and I wanted to select the later table

Whoever wrote that it's "rarely useful" obviously has not even bothered to
check what this is used for in the normal case. =)

> These selectors are very powerful and as web developers understand them better, they will be used much more often.

Maybe also as browsers actually honour them. Last time I checked lots of
them didn't even work, so I suppose lots of people aren't using them
because they, like me, would assume they still wouldn't work.

--
cheers,
-ambrose

Yahoo and Gmail must die. Yes, I use them, but they still must die.
PS: Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia. (Very Important)