Re: [css3] Suggestion: Selector variables or "synonyms"

On Feb 11, 2008, at 7:20 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>

>> Try as I might, I can't fathom how my proposed syntax, which is
>> basically a way of creating and using placeholders for CSS text,
>> could possibly have any compromising effect on user !important rules.
>> Once the UA expanded the placeholders into the text they contained,
>> they would be no different from any other text the author puts into
>> his or her style sheets. Perhaps you could explain more, or perhaps
>> you misunderstood my proposal?
>

> This basically illustrate to core problem. CSS should not be
> changed to allow for the handling of inconsistency's in HTML (or
> other languages) coding.

I agree, and that is not what I was proposing.

> CSS should be developed in a way that what it is meant to style is
> properly coded Semantic HTML. Changing CSS to accommodate a problem
> that solely rest in the arena of HTML is wrong.
>
> In saying this the concept of a placeholder in CSS has lost me
> completely.
>
> If say two sets of HTML templates are used on the same site.

No, it doesn't. I can see that I lost you, as that is not the
proposal that the text you quoted refers to.

> One has it main navigation in a div #navigation. The other template
> has it main navigation in a div #menu. CSS can accommodate this by
> having a more cumbersome group selectors.
>
> #navigation ul, #main ul {}
>
> or having to sets of CSS for variations in styling of the navigation
>
> #navigation ul {)
>
> #main ul {}
>
> Now to say #navigation equals #main is changing CSS to solve a HTML
> coding problem.

That is not at all what I proposed. It is what Jens originally
proposed, and I proposed something quite different that also did
assignment, but not to existing selectors for existing HTML. What I
proposed was assignment of selectors to a variable or constant, not
to something that already selects something else. [1]

Thus, if I created a constant (or variable) and called it
"myselector", and  then assigned "#navigation ul li a"  to it, then I
could use it in my stylesheet as a substitute for typing "#navigation
ul li a" into multiple rules. Wherever you then saw "myselector" as
part of rule's selector, you would know that it really was just a
condensed version of "#navigation ul li a", because I had defined it
as such earlier in the document with an @ rule. This has nothing to
do with assigning a string of selectors to an existing ID selector,
but of being able to create new selectors on the fly.

Besides saving space and improving readability, this also allows you
to make changes later in one place if all your HTML changes. It does
not address Jen's desire to be able to support old HTML and new HTML
templates by equating one set of selectors with another, and I
pointed that out when I first suggested it. From that post:

>> This probably wouldn't help with Jens' first use case (selector
>> changes that catch old versions of HTML pages), but would be an
>> elegant and fairly simple way to implement his second (shortened
>> versions of long contextual selectors).

> CSS I think should be designed to style code, not to style and cope
> with code inconsistency's.

I agree.

#2 and #3 were two of the primary reasons why I proposed something
different. I will repeat the text from my original proposal[1] that
dealt with selectors (I'm sorry if it was not clear enough, but I did
try to be even more explicit in explaining it in later posts):

This is where I showed a constant to be called "navlink" being
created and having a selector sequence assigned to it:

> /* for long sequences of selectors that are used in multiple
> places: */
> @constant navlink( #sidenav ul li a, #topnav ul li a )

This is where I showed the just-created "navlink" being used within
rules, as a placeholder for typing out that long sequence each time:

> navlink:link, navlink:visited { color:black; background-
> color:yellow; }
> navlink:hover { background-color:black; color:yellow; }
> navlink:active { background-color:black; color:red; }
>
> So, in this syntax, "@constant' means you are defining
> the constant. [...] For selectors, after  they are defined,
> they are used as though they are just simple  selectors.

Note that I am _not_ suggesting that "navlink" in the above example
is an ID selector having anything to do with an element with the ID
of "navlink" in any HTML document. It does not. I am using it only as
a placeholder for the two pieces of selector text, "#sidenav ul li a"
and "#topnav ul li a". So that in the three rules I created with
"link", "visited", hover", and "active" could be written in a much
shorter form, instead of as follows:

	#sidenav ul li a:link,
	#topnav ul li a:link,
	#sidenav ul li a:visited,
	#topnav ul li a:visited { color:black; background-color:yellow; }
	#sidenav ul li a:hover,
	#topnav ul li a:hover { background-color:black; color:yellow; }
	#sidenav ul li a:active,
	#topnav ul li a:active { background-color:black; color:red; }

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Feb/0102.html