Re: [css3] Suggestion: Selector variables or “synonyms”

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:16:50 +0000
To: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008, at 3:13 AM, David Woolley wrote:
>> Jens Meiert wrote:
>>> Apparently, Carmelo Capinpin already suggested the concept in 2006
>>> [1] (with few success, unfortunately [2]), but I may propose to
>>> consider something like “selector variables” in CSS 3 again in order
>>> to help both maintainability and style sheet efficiency.
>>> The basic idea is to syntactically allow definitions like
>>>   E = F;
>>> … so that rules matching E would match F as well (and the other way
>>> around), while variable (or synonym) declarations could probably be
>>> located at the beginning of a style sheet or within a certain @-rule.
>> Could you explain how this would interact with the cascade, in
>> particular:
>> - how does it interact with !important rules;
>> - what is the scope of the effect.
> I know you weren't asking me, but I would like to answer based on the
> way I suggested handling this sort of thing (see quoted text below), in
> which constants are merely placeholders for other text. Thus, the
> definition of the constants would not be involved in the cascade, and

That would only be true if the mechanism only had file scope (in which
case it is a candidate for server side processing).  Is that what you meant?

> The last value in the constant assignment will have an implied semicolon
> if it is missing. Adding "!important" to a rule as part of the value of
> the "constant" parameter would thus be ignored, in the following example:

The point about important was that, if the scope is not limited to the
file, user !important rules must not be compromised by author selector

David Woolley