Re: Overflow and Margins

On Feb 2, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Bruno Fassino wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 12:30 AM, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what you mean. When the height is not specified, I
>> still see
>> the bottom margin. the margins increase the height of the
>> container. If you
>> mean that the same phenomenon occurs when overflowing in the vertical
>> instead of the horizontal, then sure, that is no surprise.
>> And by "no surprise", I mean that I am not surprised that the
>> unwanted
>> behavior occurs when the conditions are rotated 90 degrees. I
>> still consider
>> it undesirable.
>
> Yes I meant exactly that. When the height on the parent is specified
> the bottom margin of the child hasn't any effect (neither on child
> position, nor on parent's height) and it is not 'visible' by
> scrolling. The scrolling mechanism only allow to 'see' the content.
>
> In your example you see the only (three) margins that have an effect
> on the position of the child and on the height of the parent.  It is
> not that the right margin is 'missing', it simply hasn't any effect

If a tree falls in the forest...

A margin might as well be missing if it does not fulfill its primary
mission of separating one edge from another. If an invisible
construct has no effect on anything, then it is as good as missing.

> (and its used value is probably just what satisfies the equality at
> 10.3.3, as we said at the beginning.)
>
> But I see what you consider 'desirable'. Now it can probably be
> obtained with an extra (shrink-to-fit) wrapper around the content,
> inside the scrolling box.

OK, so I may not have used the right words, but you understand what I
mean. I'm sure you can also see why it would be undesirable for an
author to have to insert an extra div, just in order to get the
specified margin to actually do the expected thing that margins
normally do (add space between an edge and the corresponding padding
edge of its parent block).