RE: Overflow and Margins

From: Bruno Fassino <fassino@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 23:24:54 +0100
To: "'CSS Style'" <www-style@w3.org>

Brad Kemper wrote:
> Isn't it a bit odd that of one block is wider than its parent, and
> the parent is set to "overflow:scroll", that the margins of
> the child are shown on the top, bottom, and left, but not on the
> right? Is that the way it is supposed to be?

I guess this is because the "over-constrained" case of 10.3.3 [1] applies to
the child, so (when direction is ltr) the specified value of 'margin-right'
is ignored, and to satisfy the equality its used value must become a
negative value, but this has no effect on the rendering.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#blockwidth

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test