Re: [CSS2.1] col attributes: XHTML and CSS inconsistency?

From: Simetrical <simetrical@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:29:58 -0500
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "\"Rainer Ã…hlfors\"" <rahlfors@wildcatsoftware.net>, mongolie2006-w3c@yahoo.fr

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Sure it would:

> The "row 2 col 2" cell should match :nth-col(2), I would think.

Ah, of course.  You're quite correct.

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just saying. I can see your point about convenience, but being able to
> style nth-col in the absence of any COL tag would be HUGELY more broadly
> useful for the 99% of tables that don't have COL tags.[1]

I don't see why we couldn't have both.  Presumably it wouldn't be
*that* much extra effort to implement :nth-col() if you're already
implementing :col().  (The reverse seems like it might be less true.)

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. I don't think we can
> just guess at which columns styling is more important to individual authors
> of individual projects, but we CAN make the rules unambiguous.

Of course.  The question is which set of unambiguous rules to choose.
Considering a cell to be in all the columns it's logically in seemed
more natural to me than considering it to be in only the first.  As I
said, though, I don't think it makes a big difference, since I can't
see a use-case where you'd care.