Re: [CSS21] [css3-text] What does 'text-transform: capitalize' mean, exactly?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:44:35 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:
> I just wrote a not-very-complicated testcase for 'text-transform:
> capitalize':
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2008Oct/att-0018/text-transform-capitalize.html
> However, it shows up differently in Mozilla, WebKit, and Opera.
> For example, the text "(i.e.," turns into
>   "(i.e.," in Opera
>   "(I.e.," in Mozilla
>   "(I.E.," in WebKit
> Which is correct, and should this be defined in CSS 2.1 (perhaps in
> terms of Unicode character classes)?
> The spec currently says:
> # capitalize
> #     Puts the first character of each word in uppercase; other
> #     characters are unaffected.
> --http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#caps-prop

I suspect that in the ideal case, the behavior would be tailored by
language. If someone can make a strong case for a particular set of
Unicode-based heuristics as a baseline, then maybe we can include
it as an example in CSS3 Text. Otherwise I'd just leave it undefined.
Certainly for 2.1 I'd leave it undefined.