Re: background-position and bidi in CSS 2.1

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> Sorry but there is *absolutely* no way in CSS2.1/3 to say
> something like this now:
>
> ul:ltr { padding-left:2em; }
> ul:rtl { padding-right:2em; }

MediaWiki "solves" this by just tacking a class "rtl" or "ltr" on to
the body, depending on direction.  This wouldn't work so easily for
sites that need to intermix directionalities on one page to arbitrary
nesting levels, of course, but I'd imagine those are less common.  (It
also conditionally includes an extra stylesheet for RTL, but that's
not actually necessary.)

Not that I'm against the feature, but it can be done in practice right
now by chucking in extra classes at the application/author level.  As
with most selector-related things.  :)