Re: FW: NoWrap property

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:50:29 -0800
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * fantasai wrote:
>> I strongly disagree with this. If there is normally a break
>> opportunity between x and y (e.g. if x and y are kanji) then
>> there should be a break opportunity between <nowrap>x</nowrap>
>> and <nowrap>y</nowrap>.
>
> Perhaps you could share the reasoning behind this strong preference? To
> me both approaches seem equally obvious and convenient, but yours is a
> bit more complicated. Definitions for "normally" and "between" would be
> nice to have aswell.

If the author wanted the entire unit to be non-breakable, then he
could have wrapped the whole thing in <nowrap>. Since there is
a break in the <nowrap>, the point between the two <nowrap> elements
is outside the <nowrap>. A break opportunity there should therefore
not be suppressed. Otherwise there is no way to express layouts that
require grouping this text run and that text run but allowing a break
between them.

Take "normally" to mean "if there was no markup and white-space for
all content was normal".

Take "between" as its normal English definition. I can't think of
how that's ambiguous.

~fantasai