Re: FW: NoWrap property

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:21:59 +1300
To: "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  Thanks a lot for the explanation. It sounds somewhat more complicated
> than a simple universal rule (and I expect it is tricky to implement
> special-case breaking into collapsed whitespace), but I imagine you came up
> with what you have from looking at how it is used in real world.

To be honest, it wasn't scientifically analyzed. It was shaped by people
filing bugs when things didn't work as they expected. But we shipped that
design in FF3 and people haven't complained about the fundamentals since. We
haven't changed anything for 3.1.

A simple universal rule would be nice but I doubt there is one that's
satisfactory.

Rob
53:5-6]