Re: FW: NoWrap property

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 20:38:07 +0000
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

> That is one way to look at it.
> Another is to say "text within <nowrap> loses its wrapping capabilities".

Or better, "loses any wrapping capabilities that it might
otherwise possess".  The prose should also avoid
presenting a CSS property value as an element, so the
introductory words would be better cast as
"text within an element the style properties of
which include 'whitespace: nowrap'".  But should
it include the word "text", or generalise it to
"content" ?

> That would greatly simplify boundary issues.
> It would make <nowrap>_space_</nowrap> behave
> as non-breaking space which may sometimes be
> surprising but logical and consistent.

Why surprising ?  Why might anyone reasonably
expect /anything/ within a "nowrap" region to
wrap ?  Of course, as there is a "normal" property-
value for whitespace (equivalent to "wrap",
though not called that), I can imagine a very
prolonged debate as to whether the innermost
contents here should be permitted to wrap :

			Some content

Philip TAYLOR