Re: Webfonts in Opera 10

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:26:17 -0800 (PST)
To: Adam Twardoch <list.adam@twardoch.com>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org, David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>

> Note that browsers should accept format("opentype") in connection with
> both .otf and .ttf fonts, and format("truetype") in connection with
> .ttf fonts. Of course, I believe that attribute should be optional.

Right, it's really just a hint to allow user agents to skip fonts in
formats they don't support.

It might make sense to add "opentype-cff", since underlying platform
support for these fonts is not as universal as fonts that use
TrueType-format glyphs (.ttf).  It's too bad the support for .otf fonts
is somewhat spotty, many of these .otf fonts are wonderful,
typographically rich fonts.