Re: FW: NoWrap property

* Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>Attached is an example with a nowrap element ending with a space,
>followed by a non-space character, by a space and by another nowrap.

As I understand CSS 2.1 16.6.1 list 1 item 4 subitem 2

Should be the same (if <inline> is normal, nowrap, pre-line) as

for rendering and word spacing and I assume then also for breaking.

I further think that for any string or inline that cannot be broken x

  x ~(wraps the same as)~ <nowrap>x</nowrap>

So the only remaining question is whether

should wrap the same as

  <nowrap>xy</nowrap>

I think that is more intuitive than the alternative. So in conclusion

  #1 <nowrap>x#space#</nowrap>y ~~

     (with <inline> as above and y split into unbreakable part and rest)

So you don't break in any of your three cases. The question you asked

>"If there is break opportunity between NoWrap span and following
>character, does NoWrap span prohibit it?"

is a bit different though: if you apply the white space processing for
the purposes of finding breaking opportunities, as I assume above, then
there is no breaking opportunity in your examples in the first place.

Assuming you can break on U+3000 as the definition of word-spacing would
suggest and as at least IE6 and Opera do, then

  <nowrap>x#space#</nowrap>#U+3000#y

would be an example of a breaking opportunity following a nowrap, and it
is not removed by the nowrap, at least not through the white space pro-
cessing rules (again, assuming they apply to breaking opportunities) or
the rules I suggested above.

I note that e.g. HTML4 discourages putting white space at the beginning
or end of inline elements and tools like HTML Tidy automatically move it
outside as necessary, considering that I am not sure why you'd ever want
to wrap between two immediately adjacent non-wrapping lines. But I might
well be missing something.