Re: [css3-mediaqueries] feedback on device-aspect-ratio, aspect-ratio and orientation

Dean Jackson wrote:

> This is a good point. I'm not sure what the cost of introducing a new
> type for these queries is compared to defining the precision to be
> used.

It's not really a new type. The spec defines it that way, and if it's
objectionable I think an argument could be made for an editorial change
there, but syntactically it's really two integers separated by a slash.
We do use slash as a separator in some property values in CSS.

> The way I see it is that authors probably will always use the min/max
> style over the aspect-ratio queries anyway. For example, a consumer
> "16:9" device can refer to both 1280x720 and 1366x768, but the second
> does not equal 16:9 (it's very close, but by the spec's definition
> would fail the query). What the author will probably want is a layout
> that works for viewports around that ratio.
>
> In your example, IMO the author would more likely write something like:
>
>   (min-aspect-ratio: [something below 4:3]) and
>   (max-aspect-ratio: [something above 4:3 but not above the 16:9 switch])

See also
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Aug/0101.html

~fantasai