Re: Réf. : Re: [css3-fonts] Nested 'bolder' and 'lighter' question

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:12 PM, <leslie.brown@evidian.com> wrote:

> I don't think it's stated explicitly anywhere, but I it seems natural to me
> that bolder and lighter should be symmetrical.
> In other words, if you apply bolder n times and lighter n times you get
> back to the original weight.
>
> Some of the proposals involving clamping seem to break this principle,
> making it impossible to "keep track of desired boldness."
>
> LB

I state it more or less explicitly in my first email (the one I accidentally
sent just to fantasai first), but it's clearly implicit in many of the
emails.

Boris argues a subtle line, where he advocates clamping the computed value
only.  The actual value of font-weight can vary upwards and downwards
indefinitely (or rather, until it overflows whatever the browser is using to
store it).  This would be completely acceptable, as it would still achieve a
symmetrical effect.