Re: Color Lightening and Darkening

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:04:25 +0200

Dave Artz:
> how about a way for designers to easily modify the color or
> background-color property lighter or darker?

Modify the third parameter of a color value given in HSL[A] notation.
Relative values based on RGB[A] could only yield redder, bluer or
greener colors in a reliable way.

I remember relative color names being discussed long ago, e.g. in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002May/0201.html>.
Those parameters could be retrofit to apply to the inherited color (|
lighter| / |darker|, |duller| / |brighter|), but most of the time you
probably want to alter a different color than the one used for the
same property on the parent (i.e. |currentcolor|). You then arrive at
needing (color) constants / variables / macros.