Re: Color Lightening and Darkening

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:13:36 -0700
To: "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: "Dave Artz" <david.artz@corp.aol.com>, www-style@w3.org, w3c-css-wg@w3.org

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Daniel Glazman

> Dave Artz wrote:
>
>> sorry for going off-topic (changed msg subject)
>>
>> this lighter/bolder discussion gave me a thought
>>
>> how about a way for designers to easily modify the color or
>> background-color property lighter or darker?
>>
>> sort of like this http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/csscolor/

Using a server script makes it harder to maintain the stylesheet and
adds more complexity for setting headers.

>> could be nice for quickly dealing with different states of links or
>> changing a base color hue and having the design quickly re-skin based on
>> relative shading

So it sounds like you want to have a base Hue, base Brightness, then
change the base Brightness separately.

What advantage does this provide over HSL colors?

Garrett