Re: @media and browsers conditional statments

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:16:42 -0500
To: "François REMY" <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: "Alan Gresley" <alan@css-class.com>, Simetrical <simetrical@gmail.com>, "CSS 3 W3C Group" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:34 AM, François REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>wrote:

> And stop consider that hacking is for IE only. It's false. Other browsers
> have
> also some inconsitences. Not as much as in IE5/6/7 but they exists, you can
> trust me. And when you make your sites "by hand", you encounter theses very
> often.

I think you're overstating your case at this point.  I code all of my sites
by hand, and have to deal with the marketing department demanding something
as close to the reference mockup as possible while maintaining a layout that
is flexible in font-size, screen-size, etc.  Yes, there are inconsistencies,
but they're very, very minor outside of IE6/7.  As well, the inconsistencies
become less and less noticeable with every browser release (this applies to
IE8 as well, which is shaping up to be a halfway-decent browser, though it's
likely it'll still lag behind the others in the newer CSS features).  I
think the only noticeable problem I've run into was FF2's lack of
inline-block, which I've had to hack around with some nonsemantic markup,
but even that's clearing up now.  If I had simple feature-detection (which
I'm not opposed to), I'd've been able to get around that without much
difficulty.