Re: @media and browsers conditional statments

Simetrical wrote:

>> We have arrived at this point in time without the
>> need of browser sniffing and spoofing into CSS so I don't think that we have
>> to go down that road now.
>
> I am far from the most experienced CSS author here.  Probably you have
> much more experience than I do.  But my mind boggles at the claim that
> we don't use browser sniffing in CSS.  How many complicated
> stylesheets that support IE6 don't use bunches of * html hacks?  Even
> if we optimistically assume that no browser as bad as IE6 will come
> along anytime soon, people have given examples of where they've had to
> hack around more standards-compliant browsers too (e.g., Firefox not
> supporting inline-block until Fx3).

I am very aware of IE hacks for special style rules. Using the precedent
of hacking around a *buggy IE* is not the same as the *few CSS bugs* in
other browsers. When dealing with the versions of IE garbage CSS is
often required to get around some weird IE bug behavior. If IE doesn't
respond to garbage CSS then we just have to avoid particular CSS and
layouts.

http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/magic-form-abyss.htm

Gladly IE8b1 does not have this bug.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power - Abraham Lincoln