Re: [CSS Marquee] i18n comment 2: Vertical text support

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:15:04 -0700
To: ishida@w3.org
CC: public-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

ishida@w3.org wrote:
> Comment from the i18n review of:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-css3-marquee-20080801/
>
> Comment 2
> At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0808-css3-marquee/
> Editorial/substantive: S
> Tracked by: RI
>
> Location in reviewed document:
>  General
>
> Comment:
> We could find no mention of the expected effect when writing
> mode is vertical. We see this as an oversight. We assume that
> horizontal marquees would run vertically in this situation,
> and box marquees would move side to side. Please clarify this
> in the text.

Vertical text was covered in an earlier draft, and we discussed
it extensively here:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jul/0178.html
ending here:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jul/0371.html

Application to vertical text was the prime motivation for choosing
the property value names as we did.

The reason there is no mention of vertical layout in this draft is
that this spec is expected to advance quickly to REC due to the
Mobile Profile's dependency on it. We don't expect to have
implementations for marquee in vertical text layout, and therefore
Bert dropped that part of the descriptions.

~fantasai