Re: text-overflow: ellipsis

From: Ambrose Li <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:16:44 -0400
To: "James Elmore" <James.Elmore@cox.net>

2008/8/5 James Elmore <James.Elmore@cox.net>:

> That is something I want to interject in this discussion. While not an
> expert in typography, I am aware that an ellipsis may fulfill several
> functions. As Christoph pointed out, two of those functions are: indicating
> missing words and indicating missing letters. (I am speaking about English,
> and probably other Western languages as well in these cases.) If there is a
> space before the ellipsis, the preceding is a complete word and the removed
> chunks are probably words as well. If there is no space before the dots, the
> missing pieces are assumed to be letters and a complete word is NOT the last
> thing on the line (before the dots).

AFAIK, in English typography, the ellipsis ONLY serves to fill in missing words;
it is never used for filling in missing letters (which is a job
traditionally performed
by, iirc, some sort of a dash).

--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)