Table layout algorithm

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:17:49 +1000
To: www-style@w3.org

Hi.

Does the automatic table layout algorithm in
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#auto-table-layout still reflect
what browsers implement these days?  I am trying to understand how a
small example I’ve created works:

  http://mcc.id.au/2008/08/tables.html

 From my reading of the algorithm, when narrowing the browser window,
the two yellow cells in the outer table shouldn’t start narrowing since
they would have a minimum width of 10em, which should make that outer
table wider than its containing block’s width.  However when testing in
Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5, the yellow cells do get smaller than 10em.

This kind of two level resizing (where the inner table’s red and blue
cells get resized down until the minimum, after which the outer table’s
yellow cells get resized down) is what I want, but I can’t find where
this behaviour is described.

Thanks,

Cameron

--