Re: [CSS21] Why are browser default style values different from Appendix D

Saloni Mira Rai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering why there is so much difference between browser default
> values and CSS 2.1 Default values.
>
> I know Appendix D is non-normative, but since real world implementation is
> significantly different, would developers/browsers be interested in seeing
> these changes driven back in to the spec?

Hi Saloni,

I think in cases where 3/4+ major browsers agree on a single value it makes
sense to do that. It would be an editorial change, so if you compile a table
like you did here, and we agree this criteria makes sense, we can just assign
the changes to Bert.

Anne and Ian have been talking about creating an actual real-world HTML
UA style sheet /spec/ for HTML5, to help browsers converge on their default
style sheets. If Microsoft wants to take on creating that for the subset of
HTML5 already present in HTML4, I think they'd be very happy to provide some
guidance.

~fantasai