Re: [cssom-view] Why is body's offsetParent null ?

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:40:00 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> No, the way it works is that if offsetParent is equal to the HTML body
> element you give the dinstance relative to the initial containing block
> origin rather than the HTML body element. This is how non-IE browsers
> already function. (That's step 2 in the offsetTop algorithm.)

I understood how you want it to work in CSS OM View. I'm just saying
this is not how people are currently using it.
http://www.quirksmode.org/js/findpos.html

That said, I have a comment to make on section 8.1. You wrote:

"The computed value of the position property of A is static and the
ancestor is one of the following HTML elements: td, th, or table."

That means you never return tr or tbody, and that is a problem when
you deal with multiple tbody inside a single table, or a cell inside
a footer or header. I would like to know why there is this restriction.
BTW, we all know that MSIE deeply sucks when querying offset* values on
a TD or TH, replying zero, so compatibility with existing IE practice is
unlikely here.

</Daniel>