Re: WebFonts ready for use

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:22:10 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org

> The main concern voiced [by font developers] is "casual piracy" where the average
> person simply uses or has fonts installed by web pages without realizing that the UA was
> just being "helpful".

I completely agree, there's a need for a greater understanding of the nature of font licensing.  General statements like "now you can use any font you want" probably freaks out a lot of font designers, as Simon Daniels noted here:

But there's also a need for font vendors and software vendors who ship fonts to make a better effort to give web designers the ability to answer the question "can I use this font?"  Just saying "look at the EULA" isn't sufficient given the current state of EULA's that cover fonts or software bundled with fonts.

Maybe a discussion of this at the ATypI Conference in September would be appropriate?

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan