RE: [cssom-view] small update

From: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:19:48 +0200
To: "'Www-style'" <www-style@w3.org>

> The main goal is achieving Web compatibility. When it became
> clear that having no differences between quirks mode and
> standards mode became feasible that became a secondary goal.

Could you describe your definition of Web compatibility a bit
further?

> > Ideally, the spec (or a separate report) should describe the
> > findings of the IE reverse-engineering and the deviations from
> > this model chosen by the spec. Or maybe just add a clarification
> > that the offset* properties in the spec are not intended to
> > mirror the IE model. (But then everyone interested in the IE
> > behaviour will have to reverse-engineer themselves.)
>
> Do you think this section
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#background
> is clear enough on that or do you want me to add a sentence saying
> explicitly that it doesn't match current implementations?

If chosing this path I would like to see comments in each
relevant section, mentioning heritage and compatibility, f ex:

----------
7.1 The getClientRects() and getBoundingClientRect() methods
..
These methods were originally implemented as vendor-specific
enhancements to Internet Explorer.
.. (bla bla compatibility bla bla) ...

8.1 The offsetParent, offsetTop, offsetLeft, offsetWidth, and
    offsetHeight attributes
..
These attributes were originally implemented as vendor-specific
enhancements to Internet Explorer. The algorithms described below
are a mix of several browsers' behaviour plus some new behaviour,
and are not fully compatible with the Internet Explorer
implementation.

..

> The discussion list is www-style@w3.org. There's no concrete
> issue list for this draft (yet, we'll have one for Last Call
> comments I suppose).

Thanks, I'll await that then.

Best regards
Mike Wilson