Re: My solution of webfonts problem

On 20/04/2008, Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us> wrote:
> Dave Crossland wrote:
>
>  I'm a bit curious what any of the above has to do with what Nikodem was
> saying.

We are discussing what "sharable: no" might mean.

>  Dave Crossland wrote:
> >  Right clicking the viewport of most UA have "save page as" actions
> >  that allow you to install the page in the system, including all the
> >  images, stylesheets, javascripts and so on.
> >
> >  If I do this with a page containing @font-face webfonts, I expect the
> >  fonts for that page to be copied with them.
>
> I would expect this to happen as well if by "install the page in the
> system" you mean that the document and certain linked files should be saved
> to a user's hard drive for later off‐site access; I would also expect that
> font files would be saved like any other file and not installed as an
> available font on the user's OS.

Okay, thanks for clarifying what "install in the system" means; my
apologies to the list for misunderstanding.

>  Dave Crossland wrote:
> >  The "save image as" action of the most UAs allows me to save a copy
> >  of an image on its own. Why not the same for a font?
>
>  I could imagine a user being able to right‐click text that utilized a
> particular font and being offered a "Save font as…" option and I don't see
> any reason to prevent it.

I agree :-) "sharable: no" might prevent it though.

> However, I don't think that such functionality is
> particularly necessary or has anything to do with CSS; I don't see such
> convenient options for Flash video, ECMAScript documents, or CSS style
> sheets either (without extensions anyway) and all such features seem like
> they should be left up to UA vendors.

I agree. But if a W3C spec mandates an effective technological measure
under any applicable law fulfilling obligations under article 11 of
the WIPO copyright treaty adopted on 20 December 1996, or similar laws
prohibiting or restricting circumvention of such measures, that is not
leaving such features up to UA developers.

--
Regards,
Dave