Re: My solution of webfonts problem

From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:44:27 +0100
To: "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@ij.net>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On 19/04/2008, Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> wrote:
>  On 2008/04/19 11:52 (GMT+0100) Dave Crossland apparently typed:
>  > If I install Ascender's "Liberation Sans," but a website modifies it
>  > and references it with @font-face also as "Liberation Sans," I will
>  > want to see the modified version in the page.
>
> Why? I wouldn't.

I would because I want to see the page as the designer intended.

The same situation arises if a website accidentally choses a name used
by a totally different font that happens to already be installed.

> He should rename it if he's going to "modify" it.

That would be polite, yes (and the "Open Font License" requires
renaming derived versions before distributing them :-) but if he may
be rude, and as a UA user I basically don't care about that until I
want to install the font.

> It he wants a permanent modification to it, he should submit his
> proposed change to Ascender, or to RedHat's Bugzilla.

What if he doesn't want to make a permanent modification for everyone,
but something relatively unique to his site? Or they rejected his
change because they thought it was ugly?

--
Regards,
Dave