Re: Clipping a border-image

Bonner, Matt (IPG) wrote:
> David Hyatt wrote:
>
>> I raised an issue a while back about not being able to clip out the
>> center of a border-image.  It's wasteful that this part always draws.
>>

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> As far as I understand the idea of the border image it is possible to
>> make an image (say PNG) with fully transparent middle section.
>> Why do you need that clipping then?
>>

> Wouldn't a UA still have to read (and possibly scale) the entire image
> and draw all those central, transparent pixels in that case?

1) border image in the way it is defined is not getting scaled as a whole.
2) It makes sense to assume that some sections (blocks) of the border
image will be empty so to contain
only transparent pixels. So such blocks can be skipped from
rendering/stretching/tiling as a whole.
That will require scanning of image areas first but this is nothing
compared with e.g. unnecessary stretching
of the whole section.

(All this border-image stuff should be really a part of background image
rendering rather than special
border image. background + border - too many potentially transparent
overlays).

--

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com