Re: [css3-webfonts] Downloaded fonts should not...

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:17:14 -0500
To: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Brad Kemper wrote:
>  Cross-domain fonts would save a lot of downloading if there was a way
>  to ensure that it was the exact same font, without having to download
>  it twice. Also, what exactly qualifies as cross-domain? If I have
>  www.mydomain.com <http://www.mydomain.com> with a downloadable font,
>  will my users have to download the font again in order to use it at
>  ordering.mydomain.com? Sometimes third level domains are all
>  controlled by the same entities, sometimes not.

Brad, what I meant was that a font should not be cached and then
accessible by name reference only (i.e., without an |@font-face| rule)
even within an application (i.e., a UA). When I think about it more
carefully, this isn’t a cross‐domain issue at all since name only
references should not work even within a domain; it seems that I misspoke.

In other words, I shouldn’t be able to use |@font-face { src:
url("http://www.example.org/font.ttf") /* ExampleFont */; }|, have
ExampleFont cached, and then access ExampleFont on some page without an
|@font-face| rule as if it had been installed on the OS.

Caching shouldn’t be an issue here as long as the font is always
referenced at the same URI.

— Patrick Garies