Re: [cssom-view] small update

On 11/04/2008, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>  Right.  But useful for what purpose?  To actually implement a web browser,
> one has to implement offsetTop.  Now there are two options.  Either every
> web browser implementor from now and forevermore will have to
> reverse-engineer the implementation, leading to more and more just slightly
> divergent implementations, or the reverse-engineering job will be done
> _once_ and then people can try to implement the result.  Like any
> reverse-engineering job it won't be pretty.  But there is a fundamental
> constraint here: compatibility with existing content.

This was exactly the problem Garrett was raising originally, viz. that the
way the spec is currently written is going to ensure (or rather has
resuted in) incompatibility, or "divergent implementations".  I don't really
understand why this is so hard to get across.

--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that does spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)